Monday 7 March 2016

In the top ten experiences of my life:

When I picked my 8yr old up from school today she asked whether we could go to a store please.
"What store? Why?" I ask.
"I just want to get a little something."
"Ok, I suppose we could walk round to the Chinese store (kinda like a £ store) when we get back."
Once at the store, Claudia pretends to wander around looking at stuff. Everything I pick up and comment on as we walk round she pounces on as I put down and checks out how much it is. I make a point of noticing 3 or 4 things that I particularly like. After a while I ask her if she's found anything she wants.
"How much can I spend?" She asks.
"Well, it depends what you're getting and why." I answer.
She looks pained. I am trying not to laugh by this point. After a few minutes I say, offhand, that 10 euros seems like it would be the most she should spend, but she could spend less. The important thing is how much a thing is liked, not how much it cost.
"Hum. It's so difficult to decide!"
"I know. I really liked those scarves, but can't decide which colour. And I liked those tops, but you didn't seem into them. But we both really liked those leggings, didn't we?"
More agonized indecision.
"Claudia, can I give you the 10 euros and go and sit outside and wait for you? Do you mind?"
Sunshine breaks across her face. Yes, that's a great idea. I go outside and window shop for a few minutes. Eventually she comes out with a carrier bag. She gives me the change. We walk home without comment.
When we get home, she theatrically gives me the bag.
"Happy birthday, Mummy!"
Lo and behold, she has bought the leggings.
I look at her and laugh. "Thank you, darling." I say. "Your father really is useless, isn't he?"



No comments:

Post a Comment