Friday 26 February 2016

Being Ordinary

Tomorrow is the feast of St. Paul, born Saul of Tarsus, Jewish zealot dedicated to the eradication of all Christians. He was an intelligent, educated man and yet it took something quite amazing to make him see the error of his ways. He saw the Light and it was so bright it blinded him!
Paul’s dramatic conversion touches something inside me.  My Christian journey has been mostly uneventful. No major crashes, no awesome experiences. The most exciting bit has generally been like finding a really good restaurant at the services. Jesus has never tap danced across my bonnet or even kept the lights green at the roadworks. When I read about Paul I think “I want that!” I want that clear message, that personal visitation. Am I being ignored?
But then I think about it a bit more. Jesus was really rather narked off with Saul, and I think I’m rather glad that I’ve never upset Him that much. I have always believed, and I have always tried to live accordingly. Maybe It’s not that I’m left out, maybe I don’t need that level of intervention.


Maybe I’m like my cat, curled up against Jesus’ leg, purring away whilst he absentmindedly strokes me. My life is sheltered, I am cared for on every level. I may not see His face too often, but at least I don’t have to endure that stare.
So for all those who sometimes wonder if they are praying to the answering machine; you are doing ok. He knows exactly what’s going on and has decided you don’t need a kick in the rear. Lucky us!

No comments:

Post a Comment